Saturday, July 14, 2007

Single Moms - How do you do it?











It's been 5 days since Pop went home from the hospital...5 days since I've seen Joe...5 days since the twins have seen the daddy...5 days of mommy and the Doozies going it alone. I don't know how single moms do it day in and day out. Getting the kids up and ready for daycare, going to work, picking up the kids from daycare, providing supper, giving baths , brush teeth, kiss boo-boos, and give lots of love and attention. EVERY DAY? All by themselves? Not to mention grocery shopping, putting gas in the car, mowing the yard, and keeping up a house. Jehu and Emma are the sweetest little ones but even their sibling bickering and all of their care can appear daunting at times. Add in a sinus and ear infection plus laryngitis and you've got quite a circus aptmosphere. This morning as I made pancakes I had four arms wrapped around my legs and the chorus of "mommy hold you" permeated the house. As both were trying to get my attention each told the other "no". That translates into "she's going to hold me, not you." This only served to incite cries and tears. Jehu has taken advantage of my weakness and climbed into his highchair and onto the table MANY times in the last couple of days. It seems as if the twins have a scam going when it comes time to patch Jehu's eye...shortly after we begin Emma insists she has pottied and must be changed immediately. In the few seconds it takes to get a diaper Jehu has his mits and patch off. Who can win?!?!? I decided to bring out the big crate of beanie babies and see what they thought of them. We had a great time identifying all the animals until it came to the snake. Emma kept winding it around her neck until suddenly she decided it was a scary being and we had to put it away. She was too cute as she pulled other toys out and said "look you guys." I guess I say that a lot.

I think the stress is getting to me just a little...I've been thinking, in my spare time, about my weight, what I eat, etc. Something has got to give. I've resolved to start really monitoring what and how much I eat...tomorrow. That's after I've finished the devil cakes in the cabinet and after I've taken the last bite of my 1/2 pound Hershey's milk chocolate bar smeared with peanut butter. I can't leave those things in the kitchen while I try to make a change...the temptation would do me in almost immediately. I may have to resort to drastic measures. Maybe a picture of my stomach hanging on the cabinet where the kids' snacks are. Duct taping my mouth shut. We'll see.



Now that the cakes and Hershey bar are gone I feel much better about my chances. Ha!


I've included some of my favorite pics of the Doozies to this entry.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor, Mom! Call me if you need me!

JCMA said...

MOM! Your babies are too cute. I love them!

Margaret Days said...

HEY!!I have been slack about posting and reading of blogs....I just read LOTS of posts of yours. So sorry to hear that Pop has been sick! Send me your email. I would love to see the Doozies in person!!